Monday, March 9, 2009

Toddlers, Tiaras, and Me

If I can just go on record here, (by the way what the hell does that expression mean anyway - since when did people record themselves on records?) and lose my shit for a second on this concept of a show revolving around in-f'ing-sane mothers who enter their tiny, impressionable baby girls in beauty pageants, dragging them all over God's green earth and subjecting them to ridiculous treatments to enhance their natural appearance all for the sake of some measly amount of money? I can? Great. Because holy shit and then some, my friends. Everything about this show makes me want to gouge my eyeballs out with a dull spork. I can't even link to the show for you because I refuse to be a part of the degradation of these girls especially in a society that already smashes them over the head with false and unsafe images of what a woman is supposed to look like from the time they are pre-teens basically until we all die*.

However, I can't fault the show entirely because the true He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named Evil resides with the parents of these girls, and perhaps the show is only trying to enlighten the rest of the nation into what kind of heinous treatment goes on in some households to these poor girls. Still. Are the producers of this show and others like it making a profit off of these children? If so, then there are layers of you-know-where for people like them and plenty of very warm space to accommodate them.



And now you know why I need a vacation. And for putting up with my rant on a Monday morning, here's a present for you:* I'm not judging the idiots who would do this to their daughters, really. I just feel sorry and scared for the girls of this generation, that this is what they have to grow up around. Can't we just go back to My Little Pony and chubby Cabbage Patch kids?

No comments: